Sunday, December 06, 2009

Corks to Fungi, DIY

Best excuse for mimosas, ever! After popping a few corks, I got to thinking...they were shaped a lot like little mushrooms. *Lightbulb*! So I painted 'em, and added a hook. They turned out so much better than I was expecting, and this project was practically free since I already had all the supplies.


Supplies you'll need:

*Champagne corks (start drinkin'!)
*Red & white acrylic paints
*Sponge brush
*Small paintbrush
*Wire (paperclips would work too)
*Pliers for cutting the wire

How-to:
Really simple - I painted the base or "stems" first with white, let it dry, then painted the caps with red, 2 coats each with the sponge brush. After all was dry I added the white polka dot details with a finer paintbrush. Then I made a hook by bending wire into a "U" shape (you could easily use paper clips if you don't have wire). I just pushed the hook into the top of the corks - I had to use a little force but they worked and ended up sticking in there really well.

Then add your ornament hook and enjoy your cute new "woodland" themed tree!

5 comments:

jakemon said...

Crap man, that is a fantastic freakin' idea. I hope that when Sunset steals it they at least send you a free subscription or something....

mansionmogul said...

yeah they bettah reco-nize! A subscrip to Sunset would be so sweet.

Molly said...

Brills! You are so talented, lady!

mansionmogul said...

why thank you! ...now to figure out a way to rise above every other person who would love to make money making silly crafts for a living!

Paula Skarr Photography said...

Super cute!! Nice work, Brooke!