Thursday, February 24, 2011

Seed Plantin'!

AKA: "Don't know what I'm doin'!"

It's true. But I know a little bit thanks to the book Grow Great Grub. It's been really helpful in taking the intimidation factor out of gardening. I think it's because there's so much science involved (kinda how I feel about baking) that makes me feel like I need to be an expert. I have planted seeds before, but I never really saw my little growing experiment come to fruition, since we ended up sub-leasing our apartment over that Summer, and when we returned in the Fall the only plant was the crazy basil!

So I know a little bit, thanks to the book, and from my tiny bit of planting experience. I have to admit though: even with all the knowledge out there, I'm not really paying attention to the exact dates that I'm supposed to plant things. I did look up that the Farmer's Almanac says the last frost in Seattle is expected to be over after March 10th. And most of my seed packets say it's ok to start them indoors many weeks before then, so I should be in the clear (cross your fingers!).

Let's get started: The book had some fabulous ideas for using recycled materials instead of the peat pots I spent $ on last time. So I cut up these toilet paper rolls and employed a few of my almost-never-used pans underneath.
Old Chobani yogurt cups made great lil' pots!
Label makin' - a MUST-DO. I didn't do this last time and had no idea what was what. Which was kindof ok in my window-box garden, but since now I have plans to move most of these into the yard, I'll want to know what I'm putting where!
Ok so I did follow some instructions: I read the details on the back of each packet. A few of the packets suggested soaking the seeds overnight. These lil' guys will have to wait for morning...
Sunny window: check.
Ta-da! The whole team. Just flowers and herbs for now, but I plan to get some veggies going shortly. (the big container is a recycled spinach container!)
Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted as soon as anything sprouts!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom and dad always say something about not planting until Mother's Day if you are worried about frost.....but that is way out in May, so it doesn't sound quite right? I will ask them if you are interested.
Also, I saw your seed packets, and I would be careful of the morning glory....that stuff can and will take over (through a vast underground network of roots) and choke the rest of your plants....I would keep it in a pot :-)

Have fun! I can't wait to see the pictures of all your cute baby plants!

-ish

HBIC said...

AWESOME. I like that you had a packet of sunflower seeds in there :)

mansionmogul said...

Ish: You are right. I got the morning glory because it was in the backyard of our DC apt, and it was really pretty. I'm hoping to train it up our fence, but that is a really good call to keep it in a pot! I will!

Paula Skarr Photography said...

Cute cute!! It'll be exciting to see the little ones grow!

mansionmogul said...

Court - I got the sunflowers thinking of you! Those ones I'm supposed to plant directly into the ground, so they might have to wait. But wouldn't they be great along our fence?