Thursday, March 05, 2009

Remembering Names

After networking and interviewing the last 8 months, I've realized that I am terrible about remembering names. They just, leap right out of my brain seconds after I've heard them. I've got to become better at it because it's embarrassing! In looking up tips on how to remember names, I came up across this list...

1. Commit
Begin by making a commitment — a conscious decision — to remember people's names. Before going to a meeting or a party or anywhere you might meet people, remind yourself of your commitment. And recommit yourself: I will make my best effort to remember the names of the people I meet.

2. Concentrate
You can only remember what you observe in the first place. If you are distracted or if you aren't paying attention, you won't register the person's name so you can't possibly remember it. Concentrate, then, on 1) paying attention to the person's name when you first hear it, and 2) forming an impression of the person by using all of your senses possible.

3. Repeat
Use the name immediately.
Repeat it silently to yourself.
Comment on the name, if possible.
Use it occasionally in the conversation without overdoing it.
Use it when leaving.
Write it down afterwards.
4. Associate
Try to make an association between the person's face and an image the name suggests. Even if you can't create an image for the name, don't despair. All this takes time and energy and that's the point. Just by working on it, just by trying to figure out an image that goes along with the name, you have reinforced your memory.

Tips from Witt Communications.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good tips, I'll try that next time I meet someone new (I could have used this when I went to a wedding last weekend, and could NOT remember the names of the other people at my table!).