Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Time Management...help!

Seriously You Guys, I need help with this. I think this is just one of those things that I suck at. But also, being pulled in a ton of directions doesn't help either. I imagine this is just 5% of what it feels like to be a parent. But anyway...balancing working for yourself plus school and all those household tasks can be tricky (unless you're awesome at this but that's clearly not me!). I feel like I turn around at the end of the day and I'm all "where did the time go - seriously!?" So I did a little research on time management to see if I could get a bit better at all this.

quote via {inspirationfeed}

My Discoveries About Time Management:

1. Keep a Time Diary. (aka: How many minutes of your life have been stolen by various Kardashians?)
This is interesting. Because: some of those little things that you don't even think about suck up your time more than you know. For instance: I usually spend a half hour reading through news on my itouch in the morning. A half an hour! That adds up to a lot. I think keeping a "time diary" is scary because I know that I spend a huge amount of time on stuff that is actually just crap so I guess the whole point is to be accountable, and be more deliberate about your time, even those small chunks of time that you may think won't add up to much - they do!

2. Make an Ignore List. {via GD}
Brilliant. Easier said than done. But already immensely helpful. Since I "do what I want", my bad working habits are deeply deeply ingrained in me by now so much so that I don't even realize it when I'm wasting time! It's like a nervous tick for me to check the internet every single time I finish a task. BAD.
Here's my ignore list:
- Google Reader
- Facebook (sad, but true)
- TV (I'll intend to take a "5 min break" but get sucked in for an hour - BAD)
- Phone (I need to let things go to VM if I don't have time to talk for an hour)
- Pinterest - oy major time suck

I love these "brain breaks" but if I want to actually get anything accomplished I really need to save them for the end of the day after I've reached some of my goals.

3. Set an Egg Timer.
Word. I need to get one of those really obnoxious timers, and set it for half hour increments to work on specific tasks. I think this would help me to A. Get started, because if you know a timer will go off in a half hour starting a task is less daunting, and B. Be more deliberate about setting all distractions aside to concentrate one one thing for a half hour.
Do you guys have any tips for better time management? Am I the only one who is terrible at this? Sometimes I feel like other people just really have their shit together and they always get things done quickly and timely. I'm jealous of them! What is your secret?

5 comments:

Brianna said...

Oi I wish I had some tips for you, but yours were helpful! I'm a design production senior at western (Holla!) and I find all homework falls into "fun stuff due forever away that I want to do NOW" and "stuff due tomorrow that I don't want to do at all." I love reading your blog, keep it up!

mansionmogul said...

Thanks Bri! Good to know I'm not the only one who find this whole thing tricky :)

mansionmogul said...

PS. Way to go WWU! Say hi to Elsi for me :) Print rules!

Carrie said...

Brooke, I feel like I have absolutely NO TIME. I have been saying I need to go grocery shopping for more than a week and I haven't had the time to go! I pick up just the must haves (milk, bananas, etc) but the rest of the pantry and fridge are a barren wasteland. I'm going to try some of your tips; thanks for sharing!!

Brianna said...

Will do! And I think I'll try the egg-timer trick (yay, excuse to find a really cute one online!