Monday, November 22, 2010

Pont du Gard Day

Who's up for picnicking at a 2000 year old Roman Aqueduct? That's exactly what we got to do and it was a gorgeous day for it!

We determined this is the oldest structure I've ever seen!

These bricks are OLD. I mean, OLD. And still standing perfectly!

Isn't it grand?

View from the bridge.

Picnic! Keene bought this (4 euro?) bottle of "wine". It's like French Four Loko. Well, not really, but it's cheap! It actually wasn't that bad. A little skunky when we still had it around 2 days later, but still.

Real olives everywhere!

One end of the bridge.

French soldiers were there?

Pretty cool, huh?

I like it when the camera gets a sun orby thing.

Successful use of the timer function!

Keene trekked it up to the beginning of the bridge on the other side and took these cool pics...

Right?

You can see how it worked!

Obvs it used to go for miles - it's incredible that this part is all still here.

Behold, some video I took (proof that I cannot resist using "accent voice" or saying "there ya have it, folks" on video).

Back in the gift shop/cafe (how weird is it that 2000 yo landmarks all have gift shops?), there were these cute chairs. You don't see thoughtfully designed mass-produced public seating often!

Wrapping up our France part of the trip - we discovered we were very close to the place where Tavel Rose wines are born! This was really good - I think rose will totally be my new summer entertaining wine.

We figured out what "aubergine" is in French (eggplant) and had some awesome dinner!

I had curry mussels and Keene had the steak. Good stuff!

Our starter was also rad - eggplant "bake", cevice, awesome cheese, melon and prosciutto.

So "there ya have it, folks"! That was France. Are we ready for Spain!?
..............................................................
Don't forget to comment here with your ASK MANSIONMOGUL questions! Megan already gave me a great one, and I just need a few more!

4 comments:

Wendio said...

You made France look amazing! I have to ask... did you EAT the olive??? And btw - without the accent voice over and 'there you have it folks' it wouldn't be a travel post!

Keene said...

It's not like Four Loko, it's like Two Buck Chuck, get it right!

mansionmogul said...

yes, thank you for correcting me:)

Wendi I did not eat the olive, but now I kindof wish I would've!

Anonymous said...

Dear Miss Mansion Mogul,
I am an avid reader, and first time "ask Mansion-Moguler". I am doing some last minute holiday planning and was considering using your holiday dip recipe. However I am unfamiliar with both "chipped meat" and "beau monde" seasoning. Many thanks!

Alicia, Ann Arbor