Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Few Fun Things About Barcelona...

We went to this crazy restaurant, Los Caracoles, which specializes in roast chicken and...snails. Mmmm mmm!

We were drawn in by their storefront - they (usually, not when I took this picture) have chickens roasting right there out front and all this cool metalwork. Oh and Rick Steves recommended it.

They're very snail-centric there, even with their taps!

I mean they are really dedicated to their theme. This pic is focused in on my goofy face instead, but believe me they have snail plates.

And something about this water was cool. I can't remember what...

Not only was this roasted chicken amazing...

...but the snails! OMG. They come in gravy. Also, snail-shaped roll.

So they came in their shells, and we didn't see any tools on the table. Our dumb confused faces tipped our waiter off to the fact that we had no idea what we were doing, so he explained that we were to use the ceramic sugar holder to "smash" the snails, then pull them out of their shell. Hrm. I documented this for you:

So that was fun an interesting, right? This restaurant also had the best, fanciest, cleanest bathroom of our entire Europe trip. It was like stepping into Heaven! I also found 10 Euro there! It could've had bathroom germs on it but c'mon, it was still 10 Euro!

We spend a lot of time just strolling along La Rambla (main drag) and people watching. I found this gentleman's outfit choice particularly interesting...I present to you, Man'Pris:

And here's us having a good gawk and confident ManPris Guy:

What also blew me away were these Mobile Pet Stores that were scattered along La Rambla...have you ever seen anything like this?! I'm not sure how I felt about it. Pets are not tacos, People!

I mean...cool...

...but do the pets travel IN this thing, like, on the road?

Mystery!

5 comments:

Keene said...

I think that's a little snail on the water label, but I'm not sure.

Megan said...

I commend your on your snail eating! I couldn't do it, no matter how much someone tells me that they just taste like butter.

Keene said...

These tasted like...turkey and gravy. Seriously. Interested now?

Anonymous said...

Brooke your video of smashing the snail with the sugar bowl, was DARLING! However, I am with Megan on the Snails....I just have trouble believing that they are something I should eat...even if they are like butter and turkey and gravy.
-ish

mansionmogul said...

Suit yourselves, but y'all are missing out!